Traditional Badrijani is a Georgian dish made with fried eggplant stuffed with a spiced walnut paste. Today I made a healthy version, baked rather than fried, and stuffed with my own signature twist on the walnut filling. I found it needed a little lemon juice to really make the paste come alive. See what you think.
A Vegan Keto recipe that even without the cheese and meat is absolutely delicious. Topped with the treasures of the Middle East, plump, sweet pomegranate seeds and fragrant fresh cilantro.
Can be served whole or why not cut them in half and serve as appetisers for a little al fresco summer entertaining?
Hands-on: 20 minutes Overall: 40 minutes
Nutritional values (per serving, 4 rolls)
|of which Saturated||4||grams|
|Magnesium||47||mg (12% RDA)|
|Potassium||349||mg (17% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (7%), protein (5%), fat (88%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings, 16 rolls)
- 2 large aubergines (eggplants) (350 g/ 12.3 oz)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (60 ml/ 2 fl oz)
- pinch of sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- ¾ cup of walnuts (75 g/ 2.6 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic (or one large)
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ⅛ tsp fenugreek
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (30 ml/ 1 fl oz)
- ⅓ cup water (80 ml/ 2.7 fl oz)
- juice from ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup fresh pomegranate seeds (22 g/ 0.8 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 190 C/ 375 F (fan assisted). Make sure your aubergines are fresh and firm. Remove the stalks and using a mandolin or by hand slice the aubergines into slices, lengthways, about ½ cm (¼ inch) thick.
- Using a silicone or pastry brush, coat both sides of the aubergine with olive oil and place on a greaseproof lined baking tray. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until soft, able to roll but not too mushy. Flip after 10 minutes for even cooking.
- Meanwhile, place all the walnut mix ingredients in a high speed food processor and mix until smooth. This can be made up to a day in advance.
- Once the aubergines are cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Spread approximately 1 teaspoon of walnut paste per slice on the aubergine, sprinkle with a few pomegranate seeds and a pinch of fresh cilantro. Roll. Top with left over pomegranate seeds and cilantro.