I don’t know about you but each summer I’m up to my ears in zucchini. It’s one of the things that grows like a weed in my garden and I’m always looking for delicious ways to use it up. This low-carb keto version of fried zucchini is sure to be a family favorite.
I like to use a parmesan crust which gets nice and crispy and pairs great with a dill yogurt dipping sauce. I know some recipes that require frying scare some folks off but this one comes together in a cinch as they only take about 1-2 minutes per side. All in all you won’t regret making this recipe!
Hands-on: 20 minutes Overall: 20 minutes
Nutritional values (per serving, 4-6 pieces)
|of which Saturated||11.9||grams|
|Magnesium||31||mg (8% RDA)|
|Potassium||325||mg (16% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (8%), protein (25%), fat (67%)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1 cm (½ inch) rounds (340 g/ 12 oz)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups grated Parmesan cheese (4.8 g/ 4.5 oz)
- 4 heaping tbsp coconut flour (48 g/ 1.7 oz)
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- 6 tbsp virgin coconut oil or ghee, for frying
Yogurt & Herb Dipping Sauce:
- ½ cup plain full-fat yogurt (125 g/ 4.4 oz)
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (15 ml)
- ½ tsp garlic salt (or use ¼ tsp garlic powder + ¼ tsp salt)
- ½ tsp pepper
Note: Nutrition facts for coconut oil, which is used for frying, are counted partially (50%).
- Slice the zucchini into 1 cm (½ inch) rounds. Arrange 3 bowls with the whisked eggs in one, the parmesan in one, and the coconut flour with spices in the other.
- Heat the coconut oil in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. One at a time dip the zucchini into the coconut flour mixture shaking off the excess before dipping into the egg then into the parmesan then place in the skillet frying 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Drain each piece on a paper towel lined plate. Once all the zucchini has been fried mix together the ingredients for the yogurt sauce (prepared by simply mixing the ingredients for the sauce) and serve.