Easy dinner? Picnic meal? Make ahead lunchbox filler? Southern Fried Chicken ticks so many boxes.
But my days of dancing with The Colonel are over. This recipe combines the juiciness of buttermilk brined chicken pieces with the crunch of smoky, spiced coating and it’s oven baked so you don’t have to stand over a pot of hot oil.
Could it be any more perfect?
You can really experiment with the herbs and spices that you have on hand, or that you know suit your tastes. Make it your own. The “buttermilk” in this recipe is a dairy-free alternative, but by all means use buttermilk if it fits your requirements.
I love to throw together a batch of these on the weekend for easy snacking or lunches during the week.
Hands-on: 15 minutes Overall: 2 hours 30 minutes
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||6.4||grams|
|Magnesium||37||mg (9% RDA)|
|Potassium||431||mg (22% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (3%), protein (44%), fat (53%)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 12 chicken drumsticks, or pieces to taste (1.6 kg/ 3.5 lb) – will yield about 50% meat
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk (960 ml/ 32 fl oz) – see note below for a nut-free alternative
- 4 tbsp lemon juice (60 ml/ 2 fl oz) – can be substituted with vinegar
- 2 tbsp pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Optional: ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 1 ¼ cup pork rinds (63 g/ 2.2 oz)
- ¼ cup coconut flour (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- olive oil or coconut oil cooking spray
Note: Nutrition facts for ingredients used as marinade are included partially (25%) as they are only used for marinating. Buttermilk can be used in place of almond milk and lemon juice if you do not require a paleo, dairy-free version.
- Combine almond milk, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper and 1 teaspoon of dried oregano in a bowl.
- Submerge chicken pieces and leave to brine for a minimum of 90 minutes and a maximum of overnight.
- Once brining is complete, add remaining ingredients, except cooking oil, into a food processor and pulse until combined into fine crumbs.
- Pre-heat oven to 360 F/ 180 C. Shake crumbed coating out onto a tray. One at a time, remove chicken pieces from brine solution and roll in coating until evenly coated.
- Place coated pieces on a lined baking tray. Once all pieces are coated, bake for approx. 45 minutes depending on the size of your pieces. Mid-way through the baking time, remove from oven and spray with olive oil cooking spray.
- Serve with Keto French Fries!