This low carb spin on Mexican rice is a delicious base for taco bowls or as a side to any Mexican inspired dinner. You can rice the cauliflower yourself or get a little help from a store-bought variety for a less stress and no mess option. You can easily make this into a vegetarian meal by adding some avocado, sour cream, and other veggies to the top before serving.
This keto side dish recipe comes together in just a few minutes. You’ll start out by sautéing some onion and garlic along with some spices. Then after adding in the cauliflower rice you’ll pour in some diced tomatoes. Feel free to use fire-roasted or even fresh if that’s what you have on hand.
Hands-on: 15 minutes Overall: 15 minutes
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||1.1||grams|
|Magnesium||35||mg (9% RDA)|
|Potassium||608||mg (31% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (29%), protein (12%), fat (59%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (30 ml)
- ½ medium white onion, diced (70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 lb cauliflower rice (450 g) – here’s how to “rice” cauliflower
- 1 can diced tomatoes, no salt added (410 g/ 14.5 oz)
- sea salt or pink Himalayan salt, to taste
- minced cilantro
- sliced avocado
- sour cream
- sliced jalapeno
- extra virgin olive oi
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes until they start to soften. Add in the spices and cook 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add in the riced cauliflower and cook 5-7 minutes until soft and starting to crisp around the edges. Pour in the tomatoes and stir to combine. Cook another 3-5 minutes until the mixture is dry and resembles fluffy rice.
- Season with salt to taste and serve, or let it cool down and refrigerate fir up to 4 days.