Meatballs are one of my favourite low carb dinner go-tos… and these ones will not disappoint. Packed with flavour and super easy to make. Serve with the dairy free basil pesto for a real crowd pleaser.
Can be baked or pan fried and freeze really well so you can make up a big batch for when you’re busy and need something Keto-friendly on the quick.
Enjoy as a side or picnic food now the weather’s getting warmer or why not serve with some low carb mash or courgette (zucchini) noodles? Weekday winner dinner right here!
Hands-on: 20 minutes Overall: 30 minutes
Nutritional values (per serving, 4-5 meatballs)
|of which Saturated||9.5||grams|
|Magnesium||65||mg (16% RDA)|
|Potassium||517||mg (26% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (3%), protein (21%), fat (76%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings, 16-20 meatballs)
- 300 g good quality ground turkey (10.6 oz)
- 250 g good quality ground pork, 20% fat (8.8 oz)
- 1 small red onion (45 g/ 1.6 oz)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (15 g/ 0.5 oz), plus extra for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp of paprika
- Optional: fresh chilli to taste
- pinch sea salt and black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil or duck fat for frying
Dairy free basil pesto:
- ⅓ cup pine nuts (45 g/ 1.6 oz)
- 1 cup fresh basil (35 g/ 1.2 oz)
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (45 ml)
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- pinch sea salt
Note: you can try other keto-friendly pesto sauces.
- Simply place all the ingredients in a high speed food processor. Blitz until combined. It should still have textured, so not too smooth.
- Peel and finely dice the onion and garlic. Zest the lemon. Finely chop the parsley.
- Place the mince, onion, garlic, lemon zest, parsley, paprika and optional chilli in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix well with your hands. Shape into 16 to 20 meatballs.
- To pan fry – Add a little olive oil to a non stick frying pan. When hot add the meatballs. Fry for 15 minutes, turning regularly until golden on the outside and cooked through. Alternatively you can place on a greaseproof lined baking tray and roast in the oven (190 C fan assisted/ 375 F) for 20 – 30 minutes until lovely and golden brown.
- Drain the juices after about 15 minutes and turn. Serve the pesto over the meatballs or on the side for dipping.