I’d like to welcome Jo Hardig of Paleo Crust who will be developing healthy recipes for our site. This week Jo will share three tasty keto & paleo recipes including this flax sandwich topped with eggs and bacon!
A good bacon sandwich reminds me of growing up. Every Sunday morning, 10 am like clockwork, I’d smell the sweet notes of sizzling bacon wafting up the stairs. My nose would twitch and I’d stumble from my slumber all messy haired and sleepy eyed ready to take on dads infamous bacon sarnie. And whilst bread as I once knew it is now out, you can still totally enjoy this family favourite, in a new, more nutritious, low carb way.
This is my take on the classic favourite with a special Keto twist. Crispy bacon, peppery rocket (arugula) on a base of flax bread with a sensational wholegrain mustard mayonnaise. It’s incredibly good guys. You know what they say… eat breakfast like a king… well I’ve got you covered! Enjoy.
Hands-on: 30 minutes Overall: 40 minutes
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||15.1||grams|
|Magnesium||77||mg (19% RDA)|
|Potassium||357||mg (18% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (1%), protein (15%), fat (84%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
- 60 g flax seeds (2.1 oz)
- 55 g chia seeds (2 oz)
- 2 ½ tbsp of coconut flour (20 g/ 0.7 oz)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- good pinch sea or pink Himalayan salt
- good pinch coarse black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup + 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (95 ml/ 3.2 fl oz)
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil, melted
Wholegrain Mustard Mayo:
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil (80 ml/ 2.7 fl oz)
- ¾ tsp of wholegrain mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- pinch sea or pink Himalayan salt
- pinch coarse black pepper
- Alternative: Use Paleo mayonnaise and add some wholegrain mustard
- Note: use half and refrigerate the remaining mayo
- 8 thin-cut slices bacon (120 g/ 4.2 oz raw, 64 g/ 2.2 oz cooked and bacon grease removed)
- 4 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil or ghee for frying the eggs
- handful of rocket
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C, fan assisted). To make the Flax Breads, lace the flax and chia seeds in a Vitamix or food processor equivalent and blitz to a flour/ fine consistency. Add the coconut flour, baking soda, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Crack open the eggs into a bowl. Whisk with a fork and add the olive and coconut oils.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet and mix well.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Divide the mixture into 4. Spoon the bread mix onto the greaseproof paper and flatten each with a spatula until the mixture is about 1cm thick and rectangular flatbread shapes.
Bake in the oven for about 12 – 15 minutes until cooked through and golden on top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Prepare wholegrain mustard mayonnaise. Make sure the mayonnaise ingredients are all at room temperature. Place the egg yolk, wholegrain mustard, and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in the mini bowl of a Magi Mix or food processor equivalent. (Use the S blade.)
Blend for about 15 seconds and with the machine still running, add the rest of the olive oil slowly through the feeding tube until the mayonnaise is nice and thick. Season with salt and pepper and mix. Use just half of thr prepare mayo as topping (about 1 teaspoon per each) and store the remaining half sealed in the fridge for up to a week.
Prepare bacon and egg topping. Add the bacon to a cold non stick frying pan (use bacon that’s at room temperature, this helps the fat soften). Cook on a low heat until the fat starts to run out then turn up to a medium heat and cook for roughly 2 minutes on each side. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes. The cooking time will depend on how well done you like your bacon.
Once cooked to your liking, place on a kitchen towel to absorb any grease. Alternatively you can cook under the grill for approximately 3 minutes on each side. Times will vary depending on desired crispness.
When the bacon is almost done, heat a little olive oil in a clean frying pan. Crack in the eggs (2 at a time) season with salt and pepper and fry until cooked. I like to add 1 tablespoon of water too and place a lid over the frying pan to slightly steam them for 1 – 2 minutes and then remove the lid and continue cooking to your liking. Option to flip the egg if you like a well done yolk.
To serve, place the flax bread on a plate. Top with mustard mayo, fresh rocket, 2 slices of bacon and a fried egg.